facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

NATO forces to comply with Karzai decree

Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM   |   Comments

KABUL, Afghanistan, Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai's request that Afghan forces stop requesting international airstrikes in residential areas will be honored, U.S. officials said.

"We can continue to support the Afghan National Security Forces and meet the president's intent," U.S. Marine Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr. said Sunday.

On Saturday, Karzai blasted a joint Afghan-NATO attack last week that killed 10 people, including women and children, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The president then issued a decree that "no Afghan military and security forces in any circumstances can ask for the foreigners' planes for carrying out operations in Afghanistan's homes and villages."

"We're going to work through the details [of Karzai's order] in the coming days," Dunford said. If airstrikes are limited, "there are other ways we can support the Afghan forces besides aviation."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Iranian woman accused of killing attempted rapist executed Iranian woman accused of killing attempted rapist executed
2
Terry Keenan, former CNN, Fox News anchor, dead at 53 Terry Keenan, former CNN, Fox News anchor, dead at 53
3
Top NSA spy is leaving position after conflict of interest accusations Top NSA spy is leaving position after conflict of interest accusations
4
California Marine dies in Islamic State mission in Iraq California Marine dies in Islamic State mission in Iraq
5
Woman pleads not guilty to rape of Seattle man Woman pleads not guilty to rape of Seattle man
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback