facebook
twitter
search
search

NATO forces to comply with Karzai decree

Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan, Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai's request that Afghan forces stop requesting international airstrikes in residential areas will be honored, U.S. officials said.

"We can continue to support the Afghan National Security Forces and meet the president's intent," U.S. Marine Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr. said Sunday.

On Saturday, Karzai blasted a joint Afghan-NATO attack last week that killed 10 people, including women and children, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The president then issued a decree that "no Afghan military and security forces in any circumstances can ask for the foreigners' planes for carrying out operations in Afghanistan's homes and villages."

"We're going to work through the details [of Karzai's order] in the coming days," Dunford said. If airstrikes are limited, "there are other ways we can support the Afghan forces besides aviation."

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Islamic State re-captures part of key Kurdish-held border town in Syria
Demand for mobile phones in North Korea means two per household
Volcanic eruption alerts authorities in Japan
Girl Scouts chapter returns $100K donation that excluded transgender girls
More than 1,000 prisoners, some al-Qaida, escape Yemeni prison