facebook
twitter
search
search
X
Breaking News: Convicted Boston Marathon bomber Tsarnaev will seek a new trial

Sarah Ferguson settles phone-hacking case

Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

LONDON, Feb. 8 (UPI) -- Sarah Ferguson, the former wife of Britain's Prince Andrew, was among another 144 victims of phone-hacking to settle claims against News International.

Ferguson's claims were among the latest batch to be settled in the High Court of London.

So far, 450 people have settled their claims, with more than 250 receiving payouts through a plan developed by News International, The Guardian reported Friday.

News International is the British news publishing division of News Corp. owned by Rupert Murdoch, who shut down the News of the World when the phone-hacking scandal broke at the tabloid in 2011. All of the victims had voice mails intercepted by reporters or private detectives working for the News of the World.

Statements on behalf of 17 of the victims were read to the High Court but details about the size of the payouts have not been revealed, The Guardian said.

Ferguson, the duchess of York, received a public apology from News International.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kim Jong Un had terrapin farm manager executed, says source
More than 80 percent of North Korean defectors are women, says report
Burt's Bees co-founder Burt Shavitz dies at 80
North Korea requests medical aid from U.N. agencies
Encroaching sea levels endanger Pakistan's Indus Delta