MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, Feb. 3 (UPI) -- Nigeria is committed to restoring peace in Borno State after the cease-fire announced by Islamic militant sect Boko Haram last week, the vice president said.
In a one-day visit to Maiduguri, Vice President Namadi Sambo said Saturday President Goodluck Jonathan wanted the state to return to normalcy after years of violence, Nigeria's Leadership Newspapers reported Sunday.
"With the current efforts of the government and good people of Borno State to broker peace and to ensure peaceful co-existence, I assure you that the federal government is consulting on the best approach to the peace process," Sambo said. "We are happy with this development and we are glad that the ceasefire offer is coming at a time when all hands must be on deck to address safety and security challenges toward a peaceful and prosperous nation."
A man identifying himself as a commander of Boko Haram, Sheikh Muhammed Abdulazeez, announced the cease-fire agreement with security forces in northeastern Nigeria last week. He said the government promised to release some jailed sect members as part of the agreement.
"People should know that, henceforth, we should not be held responsible for a single bloodshed," he said.