facebook
twitter
search
search

Concordia captain says he'd command again

Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM

NAPLES, Italy, Jan. 30 (UPI) -- The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship on which 32 people died when it capsized last year off the Italian coast said he'd command another ship.

Francesco Schettino said Wednesday, he'd "gladly return to the helm" of another cruise liner as commander, ANSA reported.

Schettino was in court in Naples for a hearing about the decision by his employer, Costa Crociere, to fire him in July. Schettino's lawyers argue the process Costa Crociere used was not proper.

A decision is expected in February.

The cruise company dismissed him after the Jan. 13, 2012, disaster, when the cruise ship capsized near the island of Giglio.

ANSA said Schettino, who faces a possible indictment on multiple manslaughter charges, did not speak during Wednesday's hearing.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Chelsea Clinton accidentally calls Bernie 'President Sanders'
Watch every star-studded Super Bowl commercial of 2016
Susan Sarandon responds to Piers Morgan criticizing cleavage
Two Virginia Tech students plotted 13-year-old's death, prosecutors said
Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice got classified email on private accounts