DOHA, Qatar, Jan. 29 (UPI) -- A temporary cease-fire is being negotiated between the Sudanese government and a splinter faction of a major rebel group, a rebel official says.
The proposed pact would not replace a larger overarching agreement reached previously, the Sudan Times reported Tuesday.
The cease-fire could be renewed every three months so the two groups could hold talks on an agenda defined in a framework agreement, said Nahar Osman, political adviser of the leader of the military command of the Justice and Equality Movement.
Meeting in the Qatari capital of Doha, the parties signed an agreement Thursday pledging to discuss issues proposed by the movement. However, none of the proposals to be discussed can contradict the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur.
While "the [peace agreement] is the foundation on which we build," Osman said the pact needed some additions.
The signed agreement set out issues the parties will discuss: power sharing, wealth sharing, compensation, return of internally displaced persons and refugees, justice and reconciliation, and security arrangements.
Osman said his group believes no military solution is possible to the 10-year-long conflict.