Italian PM called in trial of top spies

Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM

ROME, Jan. 28 (UPI) -- Italy's prime minister has been called to testify in the trial of two former spies accused of sending a Muslim cleric to Egypt for interrogation, officials say.

Mario Monti should testify, defense attorneys for the former intelligence officials say, because he recently extended a secrecy injunction in the case that had been put in place by previous governments, the Italian news agency ANSA reported Monday.

Marco Mancini, a former deputy director of the Italian secret service, and his former boss, Niccolo Pollari, are being retried after being twice acquitted because of the injunction.

Twenty-two CIA agents and a retired U.S. Air Force officer were convicted in Italy of kidnapping suspected terrorist recruiter Hassan Mustafa Omar Nasr in Milan in 2003 and flying him to Egypt -- a tactic referred to as extraordinary rendition -- where Nasr said he was tortured.

Italy's top appeals court upheld the convictions in September.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Tunisian democracy advocates win Nobel Peace Prize
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
Wrong drug used in Oklahoma execution
Pentagon to ditch $500M Syrian rebel training program