facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Official: Syria planned bomb during Haj

Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM   |   Comments

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia, Jan. 27 (UPI) -- A former military official said Syria planned to explode a bomb during the pilgrimage season last year in Saudi Arabia.

Imad al Haraki, who worked for the Syrian consulate in Saudi Arabia, said the Syrian government had selected him to carry out the act on the ninth day of Haj, when 3 million people gathered at the Arafat Mount during rituals.

He said the former deputy general consul, Shawqi Shamat, gave the orders to him.

Gulf News said al Haraki decided to tell Saudi authorities about the plot, and three diplomats in the consulate were deported as a result.

Al Haraki said he then asked Saudi authorities for protection, as he had heard he had been sentenced to death.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
New submarine set for commissioning New submarine set for commissioning
2
California officer allegedly stole nude photos during arrest California officer allegedly stole nude photos during arrest
3
[UPDATE] Two Calif. deputies killed, two others shot [UPDATE] Two Calif. deputies killed, two others shot
4
Lauren Hill's cancer won't stop teen from playing basketball Lauren Hill's cancer won't stop teen from playing basketball
5
Navy tests MQ-8C unmanned helos Navy tests MQ-8C unmanned helos
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback