facebook
twitter
search
search

All 13 trapped in mine blast dead

Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM

BEIJING, Jan. 24 (UPI) -- Chinese rescuers Thursday confirmed all 13 workers trapped following a mine blast last week in southwest Guizhou province had died.

Xinhua News Agency reported the body of the 13th victim was retrieved early Thursday.

The report said rescue operations involved removing 1,400 cubic meters or about 2,000 tons of coal from the shaft of the Jinjia Coal mine in the province's Liupanshui city and cleaning out about 381,000 cubic meters of gas out of the mine.

The Friday evening blast was blamed on a high density of gas.

The mine with an annual capacity of 1.8 million tons of coal is state-owned and operated by the Guizhou Panjiang Clean Coal Co Ltd., the report said.

The blast was being investigated.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Putin reassures PM Alexis Tsipras after 'no' referendum vote in Greece
Duma approves construction of $4 billion bridge to Crimea
Starbucks hikes prices on popular coffee drinks
Donald Trump deletes retweet about Jeb Bush's wife
Shark bites Camp Lejeune Marine on North Carolina coast