facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Gas leak at church affects 35

Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM   |   Comments

BARCELONA, Spain, Jan. 21 (UPI) -- Thirty-five people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning while attending a concert at a church in Barcelona, Spain, officials said.

The gas leak happened Saturday at the church of Sant Vicenc de Gualba during a concert that drew a crowd of about 130 people, ThinkSpain reported.

Of the 35 affected, three were in a serious condition -- an 81-year-old woman, a 50-year-old woman and an 8-year-old boy -- and the rest suffered only mild effects.

Officials said the gas leak was caused by "faulty combustion of the heaters used during the concert."

The church was ventilated overnight and firefighters said Sunday the levels of carbon monoxide were back down to normal and it could be reopened to the public.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Merkel urges Putin to withdraw Russian troops from Ukraine Merkel urges Putin to withdraw Russian troops from Ukraine
2
Lindsey Graham fears ISIS will come kill us all, in a not at all hysterical way Lindsey Graham fears ISIS will come kill us all, in a not at all hysterical way
3
Rush Limbaugh: Women actually are consenting when they say 'no' Rush Limbaugh: Women actually are consenting when they say 'no'
4
Census: number of Americans living in poverty down, still above 45 million Census: number of Americans living in poverty down, still above 45 million
5
Shark attacks surfer at Santa Cruz beach Shark attacks surfer at Santa Cruz beach
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback