facebook
twitter
search
search

Clooney not testifying for Berlusconi

Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:14 PM

MILAN, Italy, Jan. 21 (UPI) -- Celebrities George Clooney and Cristiano Ronaldo will not testify in the sex abuse trial of former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, judges said Monday.

The Hollywood actor and the Real Madrid soccer player had been called to testify in the trial by the defense, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.

The judges said their testimony would have been "superfluous."

Berlusconi is accused of having sex with a Moroccan dancer, known as Ruby the Heart-stealer, when she was 17 -- a year under the legal age for prostitution in Italy.

Judges in the trial also said the verdict will not come until after next month's Italian general elections. Italy's elections take place Feb. 24-25, while the last hearing in Berlusconi's trial is set to take place March 11.

The court's announcement came after Berlusconi's defense lawyers again requested the trial be suspended until after the elections, arguing Berlusconi, who seeking to become prime minister again, will be too busy campaigning and there was a danger of rivals exploiting the trial.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kurds plan to carve state out of Iraq after fighting stops, leaders say
Kentucky clerk sued for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses
Van hauling fireworks catches fire on I-15 near California-Nevada border
Sean 'Diddy' Combs avoids felony rap for attacking UCLA coach
Police arrest N.C. soldier with assault rifle headed to mall photo shoot