facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Drugs killed bison at Russian reserve

Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM   |   Comments

MOSCOW, Jan. 19 (UPI) -- A bison that died at a Russian wildlife reserve was apparently done in by a drug overdose, the necropsy report said.

The bison named Shponti was thought at first to be the victim of food poisoning from rotten tomatoes and tangerines. However, closer forensic examination revealed fatal levels of caffeine and amphetamine in the animal's system.

Veterinarian Vyacheslav Vasin told Russia's RIA Novosti news agency the stimulants were found in Shponti's kidney at levels high enough to cause cardiac arrest.

Vasin downplayed suspicions the European bison imported from Germany was deliberately fed the fatal dose. He told the news agency the cost of the amphetamines was probably too high for the animal's overdose to have been deliberate.

The vet suggested Shponti somehow came across the stimulants accidentally.

Shponti died Jan. 7 at a reserve outside Moscow on the same day its female mate also dropped dead of unknown causes.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Poland's Komorowski wants U.N to block Russian influence Poland's Komorowski wants U.N to block Russian influence
2
Scotland says 'No Thanks,' will remain part of the United Kingdom Scotland says 'No Thanks,' will remain part of the United Kingdom
3
Eight people killed in mass shooting in Northern Florida Eight people killed in mass shooting in Northern Florida
4
Phoenix airport reopens after lockdown
5
JetBlue plane makes emergency landing JetBlue plane makes emergency landing
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback