CHANGCHUN, China, Jan. 15 (UPI) --
Carbon monoxide from a fire has killed 10 people and injured 28 others at a gold mine in northeast China's Jilin Province, local authorities said Tuesday.
The publicity department for the city of Huadian said faulty wiring is believed to be the cause of the fire that broke out at the Laojinchang Gold Mine, China's Xinhua news agency reported.
Fifty-seven miners were working inside the mine at the time.
The blaze resulted in a dense buildup of both carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide, officials said.
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.