facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Costa Concordia 'emergency' extended

Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM   |   Comments

ROME, Jan. 11 (UPI) -- Italy on Friday extended the national emergency declared for the capsizing of the Costa Concordia cruise ship off Tuscany a year ago, killing 32 people.

The emergency was due to expire at the end of this month, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.

The extension "is necessary to ensure the successful completion of the complex operations of removing and transferring the ship," a cabinet statement said.

Workers are still working to clean wreckage from the area in time for Giglio's summer tourism season.

Francesco Schettino, the captain of the ship, is facing possible indictment for multiple counts of manslaughter, abandoning his post before the evacuation of all 4,200 passengers and crew had been completed and failing to communicate properly with the maritime authorities. Schettino in turn is suing the Costa Crociere company for alleged unfair dismissal

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
3
Brady Morton's body discovered three days after Port Huron Float Down
4
Alleged jihadist charged with killing 4 in Washington, N.J.
5
Granite head of Lenin stays unexcavated, Berlin senate says
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback