facebook
twitter
search
search

Costa Concordia 'emergency' extended

Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM

ROME, Jan. 11 (UPI) -- Italy on Friday extended the national emergency declared for the capsizing of the Costa Concordia cruise ship off Tuscany a year ago, killing 32 people.

The emergency was due to expire at the end of this month, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.

The extension "is necessary to ensure the successful completion of the complex operations of removing and transferring the ship," a cabinet statement said.

Workers are still working to clean wreckage from the area in time for Giglio's summer tourism season.

Francesco Schettino, the captain of the ship, is facing possible indictment for multiple counts of manslaughter, abandoning his post before the evacuation of all 4,200 passengers and crew had been completed and failing to communicate properly with the maritime authorities. Schettino in turn is suing the Costa Crociere company for alleged unfair dismissal

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Chelsea Clinton accidentally calls Bernie 'President Sanders'
Watch every star-studded Super Bowl commercial of 2016
Susan Sarandon responds to Piers Morgan criticizing cleavage
Two Virginia Tech students plotted 13-year-old's death, prosecutors said
Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice got classified email on private accounts