facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Grill-drying clothes sickens 6 in London

Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM   |   Comments

LONDON, Jan. 5 (UPI) -- Six people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after a woman brought a barbecue grill into an east London home to dry clothes, officials say.

Fire brigade head Dave Brown said an elderly woman had lit the grill in the garden, and then pulled it into the kitchen to dry clothes, the BBC reported Saturday.

She then left the house, leaving her four grandchildren -- ages 10 months to 4 years -- and two daughters-in-law, ages 26 and 29, inside, authorities said. The woman left the kitchen door open, but someone then closed the door.

Two of the children were in the living room and the other two were asleep upstairs, London24 reported.

A relative later entered the house, found the grill, and took it outside. When she returned inside one of the children collapsed, and the relative called for emergency assistance.

All six people have been discharged from the hospital.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Shark attacks surfer at Santa Cruz beach Shark attacks surfer at Santa Cruz beach
2
Ohio school bus driver killed saving girl Ohio school bus driver killed saving girl
3
Merkel urges Putin to withdraw Russian troops from Ukraine Merkel urges Putin to withdraw Russian troops from Ukraine
4
The FBI announces completion of facial recognition program The FBI announces completion of facial recognition program
5
Rush Limbaugh: Women actually are consenting when they say 'no' Rush Limbaugh: Women actually are consenting when they say 'no'
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback