Gunman kills 7, wounds 6 in Philippines

Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:11 AM

MANILA, Philippines, Jan. 4 (UPI) -- A man went on a shooting rampage Friday in the Philippines, killing seven people and wounding six before being shot to death by police, authorities said.

A second man was being sought but police said it was not clear if he was an accomplice in the shootings in Cavite, south of Manila.

The gunman went from house to house in search of victims before police shot him, the Philippine Star reported.

Cavite Police Superintendent Dionicio Borromeo identified the gunman man as Ronald Bae.

The people killed by the gunman included a pregnant woman identified as Rhea Alberto and Michaela Caimol, 7, both neighbors of Bae, the Star said.

Investigators said the gunman fired randomly. Others shot included at least two other children, who were hospitalized, a tricycle driver and a fruit vendor, they said.

The shooter had at least two guns, one of them a .45-caliber pistol, the report said.

Provincial Gov. Jonvic Remulla quoted local residents as saying Bae had been hiding after being named on a police drug watch list. Bae had recently returned to the Cavite area and had been drinking heavily and also may have been using drugs, the report said.

Police said they were looking for the second man but did not know if he was an accomplice.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
TSU shooting: 1 dead, 1 wounded in third shooting this week at Houston campus
Listeria threat prompts Whole Foods cheese recall
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
Wrong drug used in Oklahoma execution