CNN reported opposition activists said scores of people who had been without bread for days were killed when the warplanes bombed a bakery in the village of Halfaya.
Activist Hassan AlRajb told CNN 69 people were identified and buried after the strike, while 15 others were buried without being identified. He said at least 25 more bodies had yet to be removed from the scene.
The town had no ingredients for bread for about a week until an aid group delivered them Saturday, activist Mahmoud Alawy told the U.S. news network. Hundreds of people had lined up at the bakery Sunday.
AlRajb said the town has three bakeries, and one had opened at 1 p.m. and workers began distributing bread about 2 hours later.
Videos posted on social media claimed to show the aftermath of the attack, CNN said, with many bodies having limbs apparently blown off.
The New York Times reported the attack, and the number of casualties, had not been independently confirmed, but that one activist, who went by the name Samer, said, "There were bodies everywhere."
The Times said activists speculated the attack was a government response to the arrival in Halfaya of rebel fighters.
The rebels issued a statement saying they would retaliate for the deadly airstrike.