facebook
twitter
search
search

Libya to eventually open Lockerbie files

Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM

TRIPOLI, Libya, Dec. 21 (UPI) -- Libya will eventually open all files relating to the Lockerbie bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Scotland that killed 270 people in 1988, an official said.

Mahmud Nacua, Libya's ambassador to Britain, said it would be at least another year before the files are made public as a newly restructured government establishes security and stability.

One of Scotland's top prosecutors wrote to Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan recently, asking for "swift progress and cooperation" regarding the release of the files, the BBC reported Friday.

Earlier this year, Scotland's Lord Advocate Frank Mulholland met with Libyan interim Prime Minister, Abdurrahim Abdulhafiz el-Keib, to discuss the bombing.

"The prime minister asked for clarification on a number of issues relating to the conduct of the proposed investigation in Libya and the lord advocate has undertaken to provide this," the Crown Office spokesman said at the time.

"The prime minister made it clear that he recognized the seriousness of this crime and following the clarification he would take this forward as a priority."

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Greek referendum: 'No' vote leads early results, opinion polls
Russian resupply spacecraft docks onto ISS to deliver needed provisions
Maine reports first fireworks fatality since 2012 legalization
Islamic State stronghold of Raqqa targeted heavily in airstrikes
Third disturbance in four days erupts at Arizona prison