22 cases settled in NoW phone hacking

Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM   |   0 comments

| License Photo
LONDON, Dec. 14 (UPI) -- About 22 victims in the News of The World phone-hacking scandal have reached settlements in their cases, officials said Friday.

Among those who have settled their cases are DJ Jamie Theakston and Jade Goody's ex-partner, as well as Robbie Williams's ex-girlfriend, Lisa Brash, the BBC reported.

There were 167 phone hacking claims prior to the settlements announced Friday. Lead counsel Hugh Tomlinson said that while some of the cases are likely to be settled by January, "it is also right to say that there will remain a substantial number of claims going forward."

News of The World was shut down in July 2011 by owner Rupert Murdoch following the revelation the phone recordings of slain schoolgirl Milly Dowler had been hacked.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Trending News
Join the conversation
Most Popular
Photos
Video
x
Feedback