DHAKA, Bangladesh, Nov. 26 (UPI) -- A fire in a 10-story garment-manufacturing complex in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Monday was extinguished, with no serious injuries reported, authorities said.
The fire was put out about 2 hours after it started at the Aslam Complex, home to garment manufacturers Swan Garments, McCoy Sweater Ltd. and Sir Denim Ltd. , bdnews24.com reported.
"The second floor caught fire" in the Swan Garments operation, Fire Service Director Abu Nayeem Mohammad Shahidullah said. "We think fire started from a generator stationed beside the warehouse."
People were evacuated from the complex by using the roof of an adjacent building, bdnews24.com said.
Also Monday, several thousand garment workers protested in Ashulia Savor, about 18 miles from Shaka, demanding punishment for people responsible for a fire at a clothing factory Saturday in which 111 people died, The (Dhaka) Daily Star reported.
Travel along a major highway was suspended for several hours because of the demonstration, witnesses said.
Police said they suspected the fire was deliberately set.
"As part of investigation, we have already started collecting samples and taking deposition from the witnesses," Ashulia police investigator Khairul Islam said.
|Additional World News Stories|
BRIDGEPORT, Conn., May 17 (UPI) --More than 20 people were injured Friday when a commuter train in Connecticut derailed and struck a train moving in the opposite direction, officials said.
WASHINGTON, May 17 (UPI) --James Taylor will headline a concert at the White House next week, when the Library of Congress honors Carole King with the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.