account
search
search

At least 7 dead, 18 hurt in Pakistan blast

  |   Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM
BANNU CHUNGI, Pakistan, Nov. 24 (UPI) -- At least seven people, including three children, were killed and 18 were injured in a bomb attack on a Shiite religious procession in Pakistan, officials said.

The bomb went off near a Muharram procession Saturday at Bannu Chungi in Dera Ismail Khan district, Geo News reported.

Bomb disposal squad officials said 17-22 pounds of explosives were used to make the bomb, which had been placed in a garbage can near the procession.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack yet, CNN reported.

Pakistan has taken precautionary measures to increase security for the religious observance, which culminates Saturday.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik temporarily blocked cellphone service in some cities where intelligence indicated the possibility of bombs being detonated by cellphones. Malik also banned motor bikes for two days in some cities.

Topics: Rehman Malik
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback