facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

U.N. doc calls for more Congo aid

Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM   |   Comments

GENEVA, Switzerland, Nov. 6 (UPI) -- Humanitarian leaders say more money and time is needed to help people displaced by fighting in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The United Nations says 2.4 million people have been displaced due to fighting between government forces, backed by U.N. peacekeepers, and a militia group once loyal to the government.

John Ging, director of operations for the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said the international effort to address the situation lacks the necessary funding to help civilians caught up in the fighting. The U.N. sought to raise $791 million toward the effort but so far the international community has donated $429 million, U.N. News said Monday.

"More funding is urgently and desperately needed," he stressed.

Rebels who split from the government in April have increased their fighting and are contributing to a humanitarian crisis that includes an estimated 1 million children younger than 5 with severe acute malnutrition.

"It is crucial that we continue to step up our interventions and protect people," Ging said. "We need a larger humanitarian response."

Topics: John Ging
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
France holds up delivery of warships to Russia France holds up delivery of warships to Russia
2
North Korea publicly executes 10 people for watching South Korean soap operas North Korea publicly executes 10 people for watching South Korean soap operas
3
Father upset over Islam history lesson barred from school over threats Father upset over Islam history lesson barred from school over threats
4
Suspected Pennsylvania cop killer Eric Frein nabbed Suspected Pennsylvania cop killer Eric Frein nabbed
5
Actress Lucy DeCoutere becomes first public accuser of Jian Ghomeshi Actress Lucy DeCoutere becomes first public accuser of Jian Ghomeshi
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback