UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Pakistan protest march halted

|
 
Published: Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

SOUTH WAZIRISTAN, Pakistan, Oct. 7 (UPI) -- Police in Pakistan stopped a protest march against U.S. drone strikes from entering South Waziristan because cars in the rally didn't have proper certification.

The local administration halted the two-day march of about 1,000 people Sunday because cars did not have No Objection Certificates, Geo News reported Sunday.

The group of protesters was expected to hold a public meeting in Jahaz Ground about the rally.

Demonstrators left the capital Islamabad Saturday morning destined for Kotkai in South Waziristan, Dawn News reported.

Kotkai, in the northwest tribal region, is the hometown of Qari Hussain, who is said to have been killed in a drone strike in 2010. He was the main trainer of Taliban suicide bombers in Pakistan.

The march was organized by Imran Khan, chief of Tehrik-i-Insaf (PTI), considered to be a centrist progressive political party said to be the fastest growing in Pakistan.

A report commissioned by Reprieve, Stanford Law School and the New York University School of Law last month estimated that 474 to 881 civilians were among 2,562 to 3,325 people killed by drones in Pakistan between June 2004 and September 2012.

Topics: Imran Khan
Recommended Stories
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional World News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
School dedicates a portion of its website to a student who just died. Fark: And that's how the parents...
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now