UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Italian judge gets 4 years for mob hookups

|
 
Published: Sept. 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM

MILAN, Italy, Sept. 28 (UPI) -- A judge in southern Italy was sentenced to four years in prison for receiving the services of prostitutes paid for by a Calabrian mob boss.

Giancarlo Giusti, a judge in Reggio Calabria, described what he later called in his journal a "dark period" in his life, The Daily Telegraph of London reported. This included "notte di amore" -- or nights of love-making -- with women like "Natasha," with whom he spent a "crazy Friday night full of women and wine."

A court in Milan convicted the judge of corruption and accepting bribes from organized crime. He apologized for his conduct as he was sentenced Thursday.

Giusti received hotel stays and other perks but, officials presented no evidence the payoffs influenced his judicial rulings.

Giusti and Giulio Lampada, a boss in the 'Ndrangheta, the powerful mob family in Calabria, were arrested in March last year. Giusti told investigators at the time he believed Lampada was a successful businessman with a legitimate slot machine enterprise.

While they are not as well known as the Cosa Nostra of Sicily or the Camorra of Naples, the 'Ndrangheta may be the most powerful of Italy's four major crime families, the report said.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional World News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...