account
search
search
X
Breaking News: Former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice wins appeal, eligible to sign

Murdoch paper linked to burglary?

  |   Sept. 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM
LONDON, Sept. 18 (UPI) -- London police are investigating whether private detectives working for Rupert Murdoch's defunct tabloid carried out a burglary, The Independent reported.

A police memo said there is evidence that Southern Investigations, a detective agency employed by the News of the World, broke into the home of a woman, in an attempt find dirt on her. The memo said detectives "gained unauthorized access into a private domestic premises with a view to gaining information on the resident," The Independent reported Tuesday.

Murdoch closed the News of the World last year after a phone-hacking scandal exploded.

The Independent said several celebrities who were victims of phone-hacking also reported break-ins, including movie star Hugh Grant and Tom Watson, a Labor member of Parliament.

"During the course of investigating phone hacking, I met many victims who had also suffered mysterious break-ins -- burglaries where easily stolen valuables were left," Watson said. "I will be raising this in Parliament at the earliest opportunity."

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback