facebook
twitter
search
search

NATO confirms Afghan airstrike deaths

Sept. 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan, Sept. 16 (UPI) -- NATO confirmed Sunday an airstrike on an insurgent position in Afghanistan earlier in the day also killed a number of civilians.

A written statement from the NATO International Security Force said the civilians were "unintentionally killed or injured during this mission" in Laghman province.

CNN said the NATO statement came out after an Afghan official announced that eight women died in the attack and seven others were wounded. The women had apparently been gathering firewood when the NATO planes attacked a group of some 45 insurgents reported in the same area.

The Los Angeles Times said the insurgents reportedly suffered significant casualties as well. A NATO spokesman said the insurgent unit had been positively identified by coalition forces on the ground who called in the warplanes.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Chelsea Clinton accidentally calls Bernie 'President Sanders'
Watch every star-studded Super Bowl commercial of 2016
Susan Sarandon responds to Piers Morgan criticizing cleavage
Two Virginia Tech students plotted 13-year-old's death, prosecutors said
Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice got classified email on private accounts