facebook
twitter
search
search

NATO-caused Afghan casualties down

Sept. 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan, Sept. 14 (UPI) -- Civilian casualties caused by NATO in Afghanistan were reduced by 53 percent for the first nine months of 2012 from last year, NATO officials said.

Roger Noble, NATO deputy commander for operations in Afghanistan, said Thursday at least 426 Afghan civilians were killed as the result of NATO actions in the first nine months of 2011 and 202 civilians were killed this year, Khaama Press reported.

Militants were responsible for more than 2,400 casualties, he said.

Noble said Taliban militants and other insurgent groups are responsible for 81 percent of the Afghan civilian casualties, while coalition forces were responsible for 7 percent, a reduction of 53 percent when compared to last year.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
10-month-old Turkish baby rescued after floating out to sea
Immigrant who shot S.F. woman was deported 5 times in the past, police say
Putin congratulates U.S. on Independence Day
Wisconsin's Walker in hot seat over open-records restrictions
5-year-old Florida girl killed by leaping sturgeon