facebook
twitter
search
search

NATO-caused Afghan casualties down

Sept. 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan, Sept. 14 (UPI) -- Civilian casualties caused by NATO in Afghanistan were reduced by 53 percent for the first nine months of 2012 from last year, NATO officials said.

Roger Noble, NATO deputy commander for operations in Afghanistan, said Thursday at least 426 Afghan civilians were killed as the result of NATO actions in the first nine months of 2011 and 202 civilians were killed this year, Khaama Press reported.

Militants were responsible for more than 2,400 casualties, he said.

Noble said Taliban militants and other insurgent groups are responsible for 81 percent of the Afghan civilian casualties, while coalition forces were responsible for 7 percent, a reduction of 53 percent when compared to last year.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
U.S. officials, Boeing believe wreckage likely from missing Malaysian jet
Obama administration offers assistance in Cecil the lion investigation
Poland's richest man Jan Kulczyk dies at 65 in Vienna
Federal Reserve declines to raise interest rates
India executes 1993 Mumbai bomber Yakub Memon by hanging