account
search
search

North Korea rejects South's offer of aid

  |   Sept. 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM
SEOUL, Sept. 12 (UPI) -- North Korea, reported to be in dire need of help from flooding following a typhoon, Wednesday rejected an offer of aid from South Korea.

Tropical Storm Bolaven killed at least 48 people and left thousands homeless when it hit the country in August, CNN reported.

Heavy rains in late July also killed at least 169 people, the state-run North Korean media agency said.

South Korea offered aid last week, and the North asked for a list of aid items that would be sent.

On Tuesday, the South Korean Unification Ministry sent the list, which it said included 10,000 tons of flour, 3 million packages of instant noodles, medical supplies and other aid.

North Korea replied "they don't need such aid," the ministry said.

Seoul offered similar aid last year of instant noodles and biscuit, but North Korea also turned that down, saying it needed rice and cement.

Related UPI Stories
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback