WINNIPEG, Manitoba, June 7 (UPI) -- Parents are demanding the firings of three Canadian school teachers who knew two students were eating moose droppings on a Manitoba field trip.
On a May 26 outing in Grand Marais, 50 miles northeast of Winnipeg, the principal of Walter Whyte School, two teachers and three parent volunteers took a group of eighth grade students on a two-day canoe trip.
Two students later told their parents one of the male adult chaperones offered them moose droppings, telling them they were chocolate-covered almonds, the Winnipeg Free Press reported.
One 13-year-old boy ate one and then rushed to a river to rinse his mouth, while the second, a girl with braces, threw up, the report said.
Lord Selkirk School Division Superintendent Scott Kwasnitza told the newspaper the principal and two teachers were aware of the second incident, but didn't report it.
He said the school staff had been disciplined, but wouldn't give details.
"Anything that's student- and personnel-related is out of bounds and I'm not going to comment," Kwasnitza said. "Obviously this was a grievous error and the person who initiated it has expressed deep regret and remorse."