Mubarak, 84, was sentenced to life in prison Saturday for his complicity in the killing of protesters during last year's uprising, al-Masry al-Youm reported. Former Egyptian Interior Minister Habib al-Adly was also sentenced Saturday for complicity in the killing of protesters in Tahrir Square, however six senior security officials were found not guilty of similar charges, as were Mubarak's sons Gamal and Alaa, who were on trial for corruption charges.
"Shock and then fury now grip the Egyptian street," Salafi Nour Party spokesperson Nader Bakkar wrote on his Facebook page. "How come Adly's assistants were not indicted like he was?"
"The ruling should be appealed and all the crimes of torture and killing they carried out before the revolution be investigated," Bakkar wrote.
Abdel Moneim Aboul Fotouh, a presidential candidate who finished fourth in the first round of elections, condemned the rulings and also urged a retrial.
"The innocence of Adly's assistants is an exoneration for the power of suppression and corruption which still rules Egypt. The voluntary negligence in providing evidence necessitates retrial," he posted to Twitter.
Judge Ahmed Refaat said those who were acquitted were found not guilty because there was no concrete evidence to incriminate them.
Mohamed ElBaradei, the former chief of the International Atomic Energy Agency and former presidential candidate, was critical of the court.
"Old regime puts itself on trial. Continued efforts to abort the revolution in cahoots with established political forces. A critical juncture," he said on his Twitter account.