facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Almost 50 new claimants in phone hack case

April 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM   |   Comments

LONDON, April 20 (UPI) -- Nearly 50 civil claims for have been made against News International for alleged phone hacking at the British tabloid News of the World, officials said.

At a case management conference Friday at the high court in London, Queen's Counsel Hugh Tomlinson told Justice Geoffrey Vos that 44 new cases have been filed against the closed tabloid and News Group Newspapers, the News International subsidiary that published the closed Sunday tabloid, The Guardian reported.

Claimants are seeking damages for invasion of privacy.

The cases are part of a second wave of civil actions against New International tabloids which Vos is overseeing, following the settlement of more than 50 cases against the tabloids earlier this year.

Tomlinson said there were 4,791 potential phone-hacking victims in the case, 1,892 of which have been contacted by police.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked
2
Man who raped pit bull puppy sentenced to five years in prison Man who raped pit bull puppy sentenced to five years in prison
3
40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike 40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike
4
Man beaten to death with barbell in San Francisco gym Man beaten to death with barbell in San Francisco gym
5
Playboy Magazine names UPenn top party school for 2014 Playboy Magazine names UPenn top party school for 2014
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback