On the taped phone call, Renate Taarnes could be heard telling authorities in hushed fear: "He's coming, he's coming," the British newspaper The Guardian reported.
Taarnes, 22, had barricaded herself in a toilet in the cafe on the island of Utoya after hearing shooting. Afterward, she came out and found a dozen friends dead on the cafe floor.
The British newspaper said Breivik stared straight ahead with his jaw set as the emergency call tape was played.
Breivik wiped away tears, however, when prosecutors played a 12-minute propaganda video he had posted on YouTube shortly before the massacre, The Guardian said.
Breivik gave a right-wing salute when his handcuffs were removed and refused to stand when the judge entered the Oslo District Court hearing room, The Wall Street Journal reported. He pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges arising from his attacks last July in which 77 people died in the Oslo area.
"I admit to the actions, but not the guilt. I claim self-defense," Breivik said.
Breivik admitted killing eight people in a bombing in downtown Oslo and 69 people during a shooting spree at Utoya Island, about 224 miles northwest of Oslo.
Breivik, 33, was expected to be questioned Tuesday after opening remarks are made by the prosecution and the defense, the Journal said.
His plea was expected because Breivik previously admitted his actions, but claimed they were justified because he was waging war against multi-culturalism and what he said was a Muslim invasion of Europe.
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]