Lebanon seeks journalist death probe

April 10, 2012 at 7:22 AM

BEIRUT, Lebanon, April 10 (UPI) -- Lebanon asked Syria to investigate the death of a Lebanese cameraman shot by Syrian soldiers as the Tuesday deadline for a U.N.-brokered peace plan was ignored.

Fighting was still reported in several cities, opposition groups said, as U.N.-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan was to visit refugee camps in southern Turkey a day after Syrian forces fired across the border near a refugee camp, killed two Syrian refugees and wounded at least 23 other people, including a Turkish police officer and another Turkish citizen.

Ali Shaaban, 30, a cameraman for the Lebanese network al-Jadeed, was shot to death Monday in the Wadi Khaled area near the border with Syria, The (Beirut) Daily Star reported Tuesday.

A statement released by Lebanese President Michel Sleiman called on Syria "to conduct the necessary investigations to pinpoint responsibilities and prevent a recurrence of such attacks in the future," the newspaper said.

Tahseen Khayyat, the owner of al-Jadeed, said the Syrian attack on his crew appeared to have been intentional.

"Ali Shaaban became a martyr after the Syrian army opened fire on al-Jadeed's car," the newspaper said, quoting the station's news bulletin Monday night. The report said the vehicle was raked with about 40 bullets and Shaaban was struck by a bullet in the heart.

Reporter Hussein Khreiss, who was with Shaaban, told reporters they came under heavy fire for nearly 2 hours as they reported from inside Lebanon. He and a second cameraman, Abdul Azim Khayyat, survived after jumping from their car into a field. Khreiss said Shaaban was hit and unable to move, the newspaper said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Ted Cruz campaign pulls ad featuring softcore porn actress
Report: Clinton Foundation subpoenaed by State Dept. watchdog over charity projects
Ruby Rose, Gigi Hadid react to Kanye West's lyric about Taylor Swift
Kristen Wiig impersonates Peyton Manning on 'The Tonight Show'
NYC police officer found guilty of manslaughter in Brooklyn stairway shooting