facebook
twitter
search
search

Egypt's military: Prepared for handoff

April 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM
| License Photo

CAIRO, April 6 (UPI) -- A year after Egypt's Arab Spring, some protesters remain in Cairo despite the military's promise to transfer power to an elected government, observers said.

Those who remain in Tahrir Square, a small number of mostly homeless and unemployed people, say they're disillusioned by the revolution's failed promises, The New York Times reported Friday.

"None of those in power have made good on the revolution," Ragab Radwan told the newspaper. "How can I leave? I have to stay here for my country and for a better life for my son."

Egypt's ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces says it will hand over power to an elected representational government on June 30.

Maj. Gen. Mamdouh Shahin said the military will hand over power "whether the constitution is set or not," bikyamasr.com reported.

The supreme council has been in control since last year's uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
North Korean women embracing fashion of outside world, report says
Minnesota dentist says he regrets killing Cecil the lion
At least 2,000 migrants in France try to enter Channel Tunnel to England
Islamic State militants repelled in counter-attack on Ramadi university
Rep. Mark Meadows seeks ouster of John Boehner as speaker