FUYANG, China, March 25 (UPI) -- Twenty-three students at Fuyang Normal College in China were hospitalized after eating at the same restaurant, authorities said Sunday.
The students of Fuyang Normal College in China's Anhui province showed symptoms of cyanosis -- a blue discoloration of the skin from lack of oxygen in the tissues -- nausea and vomiting after eating at the restaurant in Yingzhou district, Xinhua reported. One student was still in the hospital Sunday morning.
The owner of the restaurant is in police custody and the restaurant has been closed, a police spokesman said.
Investigators said pickles sold at the restaurant contained nitrite, a commonly used pickling ingredient that in large amounts can be fatal.