Death toll rises in funeral bomb attack

March 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM
share with facebook
share with twitter

PESHAWAR, Pakistan, March 12 (UPI) -- The death toll from the suicide bomb attack at a funeral service in Peshawar, Pakistan, rose to 16 people, police said Monday.

The attack the previous day in the city's Badbher area also wounded dozens more, Dawn newspaper reported. Peshawar is the capital of the northwest Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.

The report said Khusdil Khan, deputy speaker of the provincial assembly, appeared to be the target of the attack. He had, however, left the scene at the time of the attack.

Police said the funeral was being held for the wife of a member of the local peace committee. A police official said the bomber likely lived in the same area and decided to attack when funeral prayers were being offered, Dawn reported.

Five people died and 10 more were wounded last month in an explosion at a political rally in the province and the Pakistani Taliban, which is different from the Afghan Taliban, claimed responsibility.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories