facebook
twitter
search
search

Mubarak calls charges 'baseless'

Feb. 24, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 of 5
| License Photo

CAIRO, Feb. 24 (UPI) -- As his trial ended, former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak said he was confident of a favorable verdict and maintained his innocence.

Mubarak's statement was made in a letter published Thursday in the newspaper Tahrir, Bikyamasr.com reported. Mubarak's seven-month trial ended Wednesday with closing argument from his lawyers.

In the letter, Mubarak called charges that he was responsible for the shooting of non-violent protesters last year "baseless." An estimated 1,000 people were killed after large demonstrations began in late January 2011.

The court is expected to deliver its verdict in June.

While Mubarak, 83, could face the death penalty if he is convicted, he is almost certain to be spared execution. Egyptian law specifies 15 years imprisonment as the maximum penalty for anyone over the age of 80.

Gamal and Alaa Mubarak, the former president's sons, are on trial with him, charged with financial corruption.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Hyon Yong Chol disparaged Kim Jong Un prior to execution, analyst says
Officials debate 'when to suspend' search for missing Florida boys
In Khamenei Tweet, man resembling Obama holds gun to head
Gangs in El Salvador kill at least six bus drivers to intimidate government
Venezuela arrests 212 suspected criminals, recovers stolen apartments