CAIRO, Feb. 22 (UPI) -- Cairo's criminal court said former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak will hear his verdict June 2 on charges in the killing of more than 800 protesters.
The court selected the June 2 date for the "trial of the century" for Mubarak, his two sons, former Interior Minister Habib Adli and six of Mubarak's aides, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.
Mubarak and Adli are charged in the killing of protesters, while Mubarak's sons are charged with corruption and abuse of power.
The case began in August and ended with a final hearing Wednesday.
Mubarak declined to address the court beyond reciting an Arabic poem that included the line, "My country, even if unjust, is dear to me."
Adli spoke for nearly 2 hours, saying he never gave any orders to shoot protesters during last year's revolution and blamed foreigners working with Hezbollah and Hamas for creating chaos.
"Police forces were committed to using universally known means of confronting peaceful protests," Adli said, adding no more than tear gas was ever used by Egyptian forces.