facebook
twitter
search
search

Candle lit for Whitney Houston starts fire

Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM
| License Photo

OLDHAM, England, Feb. 16 (UPI) -- A woman in England inadvertently set her house on fire with a candle that had been lit to honor the memory of singing diva Whitney Houston, fire officials said.

The blaze gutted the living room of the woman's home in Oldham, outside Manchester, the Manchester Evening News reported.

Rick Taylor, a fire brigade watch commander, said the woman apparently failed to put the candle out completely when she and her son went to bed. They were awakened by a smoke alarm early Tuesday morning and were able to get out of the house without injury.

Firefighters rescued the family's three dogs.

"The blaze quickly spread from the curtains to the TV and electrics," Taylor said.

Houston died Saturday at age 48 in Beverly Hills, Calif. An autopsy has been performed but no cause of death has been announced.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kim Jong Un had terrapin farm manager executed, says source
More than 80 percent of North Korean defectors are women, says report
North Korea requests medical aid from U.N. agencies
Kenyan bishop warns Obama against pro-gay policy
Duma approves construction of $4 billion bridge to Crimea