Bikyamasr.com reported hours after Health Ministry officials announced another death as a result of Sunday night's demonstrations, police forces moved in more armored vehicles and began firing tear gas rounds into the crowd that had filled the streets of the Egyptian capital.
"This is what they do. They are trying to kill us and make us leave, but it won't happen," an unidentified protester told Bikyamasr.com. "If I die, others will take my place.
"I will take those canisters and throw them back until they make me leave. They will go."
Witnesses told the Egyptian news Web site store owners were seen boarding up their shop windows in anticipation of further violence.
The latest death announced by government officials was the 13th reported in Cairo and Suez in five days of clashes following a melee after a soccer match that left at least 74 people dead.
Protesters blamed security negligence and instigation by police for the deaths. Since the match, demonstrators have protested how authorities responded at the Port Said match and demanded an end to Egypt's military rule.
Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim said at a news conference Sunday demonstrators "hurled stones, bricks and fireworks at the Ministry of Interior [in Cairo], and the central security forces tried to stop them in vain, but they kept on throwing the stones and fireworks."
The minister said the police forces were "only using tear gas in dealing with the protesters."
Bikyamasr.com said hundreds of protesters had been injured by bird shot, rubber bullets and live ammunition and at least 17 people lost one of their eyes to bullets fired at them in the past five days.