facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Overdose killed student, police say

Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM   |   Comments

STONE, England, Jan. 18 (UPI) -- An 18-year-old British student died from an overdose of anti-histamine tablets, Staffordshire, England, investigators say.

Pills bought online from an unnamed American company caused Nathan Lightfoot's death on June 8, previously thought to be a suicide, The Daily Telegraph reported. The paracetamol pills were advertised to treat hay fever, allergies, travel sickness and insomnia, but can cause hallucinations and delirium at high doses.

Paracetamol is found over the counter in America as acetaminophen, the active ingredient in drugs such as Tylenol.

A post-mortem found 20.8mg per liter of the drug in his system. One oral dose used as directed would register 0.1mg per liter.

Lightfoot saw his doctor last January expressing concern over his upcoming exams in school. He was diagnosed with depression and referred to mental healthcare.

Detective Sgt. Dan Ison told The Daily Telegraph he could not say, "when or how many were taken prior to his death."

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Pope Francis condemns 'hostile inflexibility' within the church Pope Francis condemns 'hostile inflexibility' within the church
2
Eric Frein manhunt refocuses after possible sighting Eric Frein manhunt refocuses after possible sighting
3
Marijuana decriminalized in Philadelphia Marijuana decriminalized in Philadelphia
4
Sweden continues search for suspected Russian submarine Sweden continues search for suspected Russian submarine
5
Early completion of refit of Italian aircraft carrier Early completion of refit of Italian aircraft carrier
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback