facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Overdose killed student, police say

Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM   |   Comments

STONE, England, Jan. 18 (UPI) -- An 18-year-old British student died from an overdose of anti-histamine tablets, Staffordshire, England, investigators say.

Pills bought online from an unnamed American company caused Nathan Lightfoot's death on June 8, previously thought to be a suicide, The Daily Telegraph reported. The paracetamol pills were advertised to treat hay fever, allergies, travel sickness and insomnia, but can cause hallucinations and delirium at high doses.

Paracetamol is found over the counter in America as acetaminophen, the active ingredient in drugs such as Tylenol.

A post-mortem found 20.8mg per liter of the drug in his system. One oral dose used as directed would register 0.1mg per liter.

Lightfoot saw his doctor last January expressing concern over his upcoming exams in school. He was diagnosed with depression and referred to mental healthcare.

Detective Sgt. Dan Ison told The Daily Telegraph he could not say, "when or how many were taken prior to his death."

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Conservative darling Ben Carson considering 2016 bid Conservative darling Ben Carson considering 2016 bid
2
Patient admitted to hospital with potential Ebola virus Patient admitted to hospital with potential Ebola virus
3
$900,000 Porsche Spyder catches fire at gas station $900,000 Porsche Spyder catches fire at gas station
4
Phoenix storms bring floods, close airport Phoenix storms bring floods, close airport
5
Hiker trapped by flash flood dies in Zion National Park
Trending News
x
Feedback