facebook
twitter
search
search

Continuing violence in Yemeni city

Dec. 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM
1 of 2
| License Photo

TAIZ, Yemen, Dec. 7 (UPI) -- U.N. agencies Wednesday demanded an immediate halt to fighting between the Yemeni army and tribal factions in the southern city of Taiz.

The fighting, which has continued despite a cease-fire agreement, has resulted in the deaths of more than 20 people and the injury of some 80 others since last Thursday, Voice of America reported Wednesday.

Schools and hospitals are occupied or coming under attack by armed forces and armed groups, said Elizabeth Byrs of the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

Hardest hit by the continuing violence are the city's children, the U.N. Children's Fund said.

UNICEF spokeswoman Marixie Mercado said the latest violence in Taiz has claimed the lives of three children and wounded seven others.

"That brings the total number of children killed so far to 138, the majority through live ammunition," Mercado said. "This includes bullets, shelling, missile attacks."

Mercado said the youngest victim to date was a 3-month-old infant.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Topics: UNICEF
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Greek referendum: 'No' vote leads early results, opinion polls
Russian resupply spacecraft docks onto ISS to deliver needed provisions
Maine reports first fireworks fatality since 2012 legalization
Islamic State stronghold of Raqqa targeted heavily in airstrikes
Third disturbance in four days erupts at Arizona prison