HALIFAX, Nova Scotia, Nov. 12 (UPI) -- Occupy Nova Scotia protesters are planning their next move after being forcibly removed from their site in Halifax.
Halifax police forcefully removed protesters Friday after Mayor Peter Kelly declared the space for everyone and "not an unregulated campground for some," Postmedia News reported.
Halifax Police Chief Frank Beazley said 14 people were arrested for obstruction of justice during the eviction process. About 200 protesters and "in excess of 50 tents" were on the site when police arrived, Beazley said, adding the encampment had been completely cleared out.
"It was time," Beazley said. "We fully respect their right to protest, but what we can't allow is to have them set up a permanent community and that's what they were doing. We couldn't allow that to happen."
Remaining protesters regrouped at St. Andrews Church Hall, CBC News reported.
Protesters said they felt betrayed by city officials, although they knew they were breaking municipal bylaws.
"We've been doing everything we can from the very start to maintain open lines of communication with the city and the regional police and everyone involved, and this was definitely not an open communication," said demonstrator Brian Crouse.
Kelly said the protest, which began Oct. 15 in Grand Parade Park, has cost the city $25,000 in police, garbage pickup and other services.