facebook
twitter
search
search

Toronto man charged with 4 homicides

Oct. 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM

TORONTO, Oct. 19 (UPI) -- A Toronto man was charged with four shooting deaths Wednesday and 50 other violent crimes dating back a year.

At a news conference, Police Chief Bill Blair appeared with homicide detectives to announce the charges against 27-year-old Mark Moore, the Toronto Star reported.

Moore was already in custody on unrelated charges dating back to March when he was charged Wednesday morning and taken to court where he was denied bail, the Toronto Sun said.

Detectives alleged the four homicides were premeditated, so first-degree murder charges were filed, along with such other counts as drive-by shootings, robbing a jewelry store and weapons offenses, the report said.

The killings began in September of last year, police said.

Moore's lawyer, Cheryl Robb, told the Star he called her to tell her about the newest charges and laughed on the telephone.

It was the second Canadian arrest for multiple homicides this week.

Monday, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police announced they had upgraded charges against 21-year-old Cody Legebokoff in British Columbia. He's accused of killing four women since 2009 and was described as a possible serial killer who acted alone, police said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
No reports of injuries after 6.9-magnitude earthquake in Alaska
Oklahoma Supreme Court denies rehearing, again orders removal of Ten Commandments statue
Plane crash kills four in Wisconsin
Russia bans importation of flowers from the Netherlands
FDA bans import of some cilantro from Mexico due to feces contamination