BEIJING, Sept. 17 (UPI) --
Nuclear negotiators from North and South Korea were in Beijing Saturday for three-way discussions on the North Korean nuclear program.
Ri Yong Ho, vice foreign minister of North Korea, said nothing to reporters on his arrival in the Chinese capital, the South Korean Yonhap News Agency reported. Ri and South Korean envoy Wi Sung-lac are scheduled to hold their second meeting in two months Wednesday.
After agreeing in 2006 to end its nuclear program, North Korea conducted tests that year and in 2009. It dropped out of the six-party talks, which also include Japan, Russia and the United States, in 2009.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, during an unusual visit to Russia last month, told President Dmitry Medvedev he hoped to resume the six-party talks aimed at ending Pyongyang's nuclear activities.
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.