UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

China promises assistance for Myanmar

  |
 
Published: April 4, 2011 at 11:55 PM

NAYPYITAW, Myanmar, April 4 (UPI) -- China pledged further assistance to its neighbor Myanmar, where the military recently announced transferral of power to a civilian government.

The assurance came from visiting Chinese top political adviser Jia Qinglin in his meeting with Myanmar President Thein Sein, China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

Jia said his government will continue to provide assistance within its capacity for the development of its southwestern neighbor, the report said. He said China supports Myanmar's development mode, chosen in accordance with the country's own conditions.

Thein Sein was quoted as saying Jia is the first foreign leader to visit Myanmar since the formation of the new government and assured his government's policy toward China will remain unchanged.

The military junta, which has ruled Myanmar, formerly called Burma, since 1962, recently announced the election of a civilian government led by Thein Sein, 65, a retired general and former prime minister under the Senior Gen. Than Shwe-led junta. China has been a close ally of the isolated country.

Jia said further development of bilateral relations conforms to the fundamental interests of the two countries and the two peoples.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said last week the military rulers in Myanmar must demonstrate their latest transfer of power is a genuine move away from military rule and stressed that "democratization and respect for human rights remains essential to laying the foundations for durable peace and development in the country."

Myanmar's new Parliament convened in February after elections in November that were widely criticized as designed to keep the military in power.

Topics: Jia Qinglin, Thein Sein
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional World News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...