facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

2 Brits missing after yacht swamped

Feb. 6, 2011 at 10:24 PM   |   Comments

OPORTO, Portugal, Feb. 6 (UPI) -- Two British sailors were missing and feared drowned after their yacht was swamped by a large wave off the coast of Portugal, authorities said.

A third crew member survived by swimming to shore.

The Sunday Mirror reported the boat was traveling in heavy seas not far from shore early Saturday when it was hit by a huge wave. The British newspaper said a 24-year-old crew member swam to safety at Povoa de Varzim, 20 miles north of Oporto, but there was no sign of the other two men.

The trio had been sailing from Vigo in northwest Spain when the yacht, identified by media as either Water Waves or Waterwave, was overtaken by the storm.

While the Mirror said the missing men were 53 and 54, The Sunday Telegraph cited their ages as 23 and 52.

The Telegraph reported the wreckage of the yacht was recovered later Saturday, and the British Embassy in Lisbon, Portugal, had been given the names of the missing men and their families were being contacted.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended Stories
Most Popular
1
Bill Clinton claims he could have killed Osama Bin Laden
2
Bachmann: Obama wants to use child immigrants for medical experiments
3
Army receives first advanced CH-47F helicopter variant
4
One cop issued 80 percent of the marijuana tickets in Seattle this year
5
Utah man teaches 'homophones', fired for promoting gay agenda
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback