RII-YUBU, Sudan, Feb. 2 (UPI) -- One man was killed, two wounded and two young girls kidnapped in an attack against civilians by Sudanese rebels, officials say.
The assault Tuesday by the Lord's Resistance Army occurred 5 miles from Tambura in Sudan's state of Western Equatoria, near the border with Central Africa Republic where the LRA is based. It was the second attack of its kind in a week, the Sudan Tribune reported.
The assaults by the LRA have displaced thousands of people despite the insurgents' being dogged by Ugandan army, Sudan's southern army and a local protection group called the Arrow Boys, the newspaper said Tuesday.
The LRA, which originated in Uganda in 1987 and has carried out its attacks fairly consistently since then, says it wants to rule that nation along the lines of the Bible's Ten Commandments. Its youngest soldier to carry arms was 5 years old.
Joseph Bakosoro, the governor of Western Equatoria said the state "will never allow any dialogue with the LRA rebels in the state's territory as called for by the UN bodies."
"The LRA are people without visions and objectives but only guided with the destruction and killing of innocent civilians," Bakosoro.